Friday 16 March 2012

Women in Comics

Haha. Aren't comics funny? Especially the old ones!

Well, recently I've been reading a few popular 'adult' graphic novels. And I've detected a common theme amongst those that I've read (Batman, Fly and X-Men): Half-dressed females! It is ridiculous the lack of fabric is alocated to these poor girls to dress themselves for crime fighting!
This is the cover of a comic called 'Fly'. I picked this up the other day, and a friend questioned my sexuality. This got me thinking, "I actually just ignore this now, because I know the story will probably be decent."
Oh dear. I have become so numb to the explicit drawings in these comics, that I just ignore them now!
We are potentially losing all of our self-dignity with images like this floating around.
Unfortunately, I think one of the worst comic book series for this sort of thing is the X-men. With so many different female characters, they seemed to run out of fabric pretty fast! Even when going to google some of the X-men characters, suggestions such as "*character* hot" or "*character* sexy" are showing up. It's so disappointing that these comics are so graphic in more ways than one; but even more so that we simply don't seem to care. 

But, the costume that leaves the least to the memory goes to.......*drumroll*

Poison Ivy! Wearing nothing but leaves, in true Adam and Eve style.


If you would like to read more, here are some good links:
The Big Sexy Problem with Superheroines and Their 'Liberated Sexuality'
Sexy Sexism in Comics

2 comments:

  1. first lady, idk her outfits weird... but thats photo shopped, she has some kinda weird ass fishnet shirt under that.... emma frost is the white slut queen.... and posion ivy is mother nature..... she literally is a sex symbol. if your so upset about comics, thn learn to draw.... get a job at both marvel and DC that is at a high ranking, and create a covered female for yourself

    ReplyDelete