Monday 2 April 2012

Coming to you live on the medium waveband

So today's lecture was an audio lecture. Quite different I must say! We listened to a radio broadcast of two interviews.

"Don't miss Simple Simon's Super Sunday Smashes. I'm Simon."


From the broadcast I picked up a few hints about stories for radio:
  • Make sure listeners are involved in the conversation (between presenters).
  • When interviewing, tease or joke to loosen them up a bit. 
  • Let the guests talk. 
  • Silence is powerful
"He's the sexiest man on the planet. Hardly ever speaks. Not even when he's broadcasting, which is interesting."






  • Ask questions????????????
  • Expose yourself to other opinions.
  • Communicate clearly
  • It's about the audience! 
  • Be real! 
  • Read the guest's body language. 
  • Be human
"Open your knees and feel the breeze, because Gavin's back to stay."




  • Find the full human experience
  • Talk less - listen more
  • Don't give up on trying to get where you want - it doesn't matter if you fail. 
All of these tips are really quite interesting, and show that radio broadcasting has a lot to do with audience interest. Unfortunately, while I was listening to the broadcast, I had trouble keeping my attention focused on what I was listening to. Radio is usually something I listen to while doing something else. For me, I can't seem to focus solely on just the sound without doing something else. For this reason, I found the broadcast lecture not the best way to learn. 
Perhaps this was due to the presenters not following a few of the above tips. Specifically, I didn't feel completely involved in the broadcast. It was a very closed interview for the most part. This is probably one of the reasons that I did not enjoy it so much. 
Usually, however, I quite enjoy listening to radio. Perhaps it was also due to it being compulsory listening? Who knows. 

"You are listening to Radio Rock and I'm the Count, and I'm counting on you as we count down to ecstasy and rock all day and all of the night."
As you can see from the above posted pictures, one of my favourite examples of good radio is from 'The Boat That Rocked'. I love the rebellion and the pure naughtiness of everything they do.

The censorship today has gotten so much better, but they just don't seem to get the same kicks out of things as they used to.

For example, just check out this awesome little clip from 'The Boat That Rocked'.
WARNING: COURSE LANGUAGE. NOT SUITABLE FOR MINORS.


The Boat That Rocked - The F-Word

No comments:

Post a Comment